07 September 2007

weekend update...

While it isn't a full weekend, it is a Friday and Saturday night off. At this point I'll take whatever I can get. The biggest news I have to give isn't really news, not yet anyway.

I am thinking about serving notice at work and leaving to become a traveling temp. I am told the base pay is equivalent to what I am making now and they offer a substantial per diem that is intended to cover food and gas expenses incurred while away from home. Then they also cover/reimburse your lodging and transportation costs. Bottom line: if you figure food and gas were expenses you would've had anyway then the entire per diem is extra income. Toss in that I'm not consistently full time at my present job and I can only imagine how much more I can make. Oh, and I might get to travel to some cool places. We'll see.

For now I am just kicking around the idea. If anyone has any thoughts, do chime in. I'm still on the fence a little bit. There are days when I seriously consider quitting on the spot and then things just seem to go so much smoother for a while, as if I were actually working two completely different jobs.

I might not get to be very picky but I hear they have a hard time filling requests for traveling techs in Alaska and that is actually near the top of my list for places I might like to go for 3-6 months. It would be cool to be there in the winter time and in spring. I could even drive up there and have my car with me instead of taking a rental. They said if it is within a certain distance they will reimburse instead of flying you out and paying for the rental, it depends on whether their rate beats the cost of rentals or not.

The Puyallup Fair starts today. I am kind of zonked but today would be the good day to go as it is likely to be more crowded tomorrow. I've only been once and that was a field trip in the first grade. All we did was see the animals and certain other exhibits--no rides. I want to do the rides!

I suppose if I can find someone who feels like getting out there. We'll see.

Peace,

b

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home