05 October 2008

even more politics: initiative 1000...

Lately Martin Sheen has been on the local airwaves telling us that if we do not vote against this initiative (which they do not name other than I-1000 in the spot), soon insurance companies will seize control of our healthcare system and force us to take life ending drugs by denying coverage.

Well, since I lived in Oregon which was the first state to adopt a death with dignity law, I put three and six together and came up with twenty-five--that they were referring to a similar initiative here in Washington.

Admittedly I didn't do that much research on this one. The ad is blatantly alarmist and its credibility is immediately suspect. Still, I wanted to know, so I did a search and found the other sides website, confirmed that this is a death with dignity initiative and that it does not give insurance companies any additive powers. In fact, the same safeguards the original Oregon law had are all there: the patient needs to be terminally ill with an estimated 6 months or less to live, otherwise mentally competent and informed consent is required to receive the prescription. Physicians are not required to administer the lethal doses personally, the patient usually does this themselves at a time of their own choosing.

I would encourage you to visit the debunker page as well as the list of endorsements from past and present local political leaders, religious leaders and faith groups, as well as other non-governmental organizations and action groups.

I am not 100% certain where I fall on whether or not I would ever ask for a lethal dose in order to end my own life should I become terminally ill, but I do think that no government should criminalize this practice or demonize the physicians who are willing to offer their patients this option. Dr Kevorkian anyone?

Peace,

b

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home