22 December 2008

winter storm warning...

They are saying that this storm is the biggest since 1996. Of course that means you have to count all the snow we've gotten in the past two weeks combined, but still. The odd thing is this storm is really a series of storms connected by consistently low temperatures. Typically Puget Sound area winter storms are seperated by periods of warming and rainfall. This month has been unique because the temperature never rose above freezing.


This was Saturday night looking at downtown from our courtyard. It was a very dry powdery snow, hard to make snowballs, except with your bare hands. The courtyard has that festive holiday feel right now thanks to the one family that decorated their window for the season.


This is a strange view toward the dome area from late Sunday night. The snow fell slowly on and off all day, getting so thick you could barely make out the large tree in the center and then clearing up briefly so you could see all the way to Stanley & Seaforts Restaurant up on the opposite hill.

I am getting cabin fever. Oddly I only get cabin fever when I know I can't go anywhere, more so than when I am free to leave whenever I want, but don't. The plan is to wait a few hours, don thick socks, hiking boots (I am still breaking in), snow pants, gloves, and a stocking hat and head down to the park on foot to take some pictures. Then the tour will swing northeast to the bookstore I hope will be open so I can get the third book in the twilight series (it's been two whole days since I finished new moon after all) and then swing southeast to Paddy's to warm up with some grub from the pub.

Hopefully the pictures all turn out well. My camera has been acting up and I'm not sure if it is due to the firmware update or some other calamity. Somehow it doesn't always want to release the shutter, even if I'm in full manual mode. Go figure! I'll figure something out.

Stay home, drink cocoa and put a yule log on the fire folks!

Peace,

bgh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home