12 September 2007

ending the season with a no-decision...

Well I sat on it for a week and I am no closer to making up my mind about quitting my job and becoming a traveling tech. The agency seems confident that they can place me very quickly and I am sure that is the case, but things are about to get crazy where I work and I feel like I will be putting my coworkers through the wringer by leaving.

Maybe I shouldn't care that much, but in spite of all the crap I put up with and the lack of affection I feel from them, I would feel bad leaving them high and dry. I had a sit down with one of our technical leads the other day and we speculated about various things. I now feel confident that it would take not less than 3 years (and probably more like 5 years) before I could expect to be on day shift full time. With that said it is only a matter of time before I move on. If it is only a matter of when, then no time like the present right?

Still, knowing that this is ultimately the area I want to end up working and knowing that I wouldn't just be burning a bridge here but also with our partners who operate other hospitals and clinics in the area I would be narrowing my options by leaving them feeling that I ended things at an inopportune time. However, they require a 30 day notice in order to cash in your unpaid time off and consider you eligible for rehire. If I do my 30 days I would technically be eligible for rehire. That would put my exit as just before the storm will hit land and that might leave them feeling that I somehow shafted them.

Well, I am going to stall another day or two while this guy checks my other references and if he still feels really good about how strong a candidate for this type of work I am (ultimately it is the client's choice which tech they pick from the ones the agency presents) then I will go ahead and put in my notice.

Ultimately I feel that while it will be unfortunate how this departure leaves them they should have the resources to draw upon in order to make it through until they find another. If it comes down to it, they could always contact a staffing agency to fill it! I don't think the agency could ever represent me back to them, but that would be a trip.

The good news is he mentioned he had a few positions in the state that might be a good fit for what I want. They would still require travel, but at least on my days off I could go home. That is exciting. One sounds like it is on the coast and it would be fun to spend a winter along the coast. I've always imagined spending the night at the beach during a major fall or winter storm, watching the wind, waves and lightning from a cozy hotel room or lounge hoping for a power outage.

Ah sweet bliss.

Peace,

b

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home