02 December 2006

home is where your ass is...

You know I have moved many times in my life. Generally it has been quick and painless though there have been times where I was far from home and a quick bout of depression set in while I was still trying to get settled.

This move is going quite different. I have been pretty busy, so no time to get down in the mouth. Also not being able to move out of my apartment (without paying too much to break my lease which would prevent me from getting a new place anyway) is making this move pretty weird, even for me!

So I go "home" for a weekend here and there and it got me to thinking about what my home is right now. Driving here last night got me to thinking about how I don't really want to move away. Yet when I am in Tacoma it is familiar from living there for two years. I didn't really want to leave there if memory serves me correctly. I had to, of course, in order to go finish my last semester of college in Portland.

Even driving over to my brother's house (where I am staying temporarily) is oddly familiar, though not quite "homey" for me personally.

So while I am wishing I could hurry up and move I am also not looking forward to leaving Vancouver for good. The funny thing is the reason I decided to go ahead and move up to the Tacoma area in the first place (if someone offered me a job there of course) was because Portland was getting to be a place where I had fewer and fewer friends. Most of my college friends have all graduated and moved away. I really only see a handful of people on a semi-regular basis and all but one are married and unavailable to just "hang out" all too much (and the single one is always broke anyway so I don't like to hang out with him that much anyway).

Don't ask me what makes me think Tacoma will be different, except that my reserve unit is there and my brother lives about 30 minutes away and all his friends live in that general area too. Of course as busy as I've been this past month I haven't seen any of the guys in my unit outside of drill and I doubt I will after I go on shift either.

So am I going back to square one? Maybe, but I'll be in square one in Tacoma and hopefully for good.

I'd like to live downtown but my real estate agent is steering me away from downtown condos and toward regular homes in North Tacoma, in the University of Puget Sound area. He lives there and says that it's a good idea since the homes there always appreciate well and if I want I can rent rooms to college students if I need or want to.

I might like that idea but the main reason I don't think about regular homes is that I don't want to have to take care of yards. I also don't consider myself the handiest man around and wouldn't want a home that is highly likely to need electrical and/or plumbing repairs frequently.

So I don't know exactly what I'm going to do, but I'm doing it anyway! How is that for a life's motto? Just do it, even if you don't know exactly what it is you are doing.

Peace,

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home