25 April 2008

full circle...

This is where it all started. Yes sir, I started blogging here in 2005 during my final semester of college. I didn't have a lot to say, so I just posted a bunch of pictures. I quickly decided the process of posting pictures to blogger was time consuming and searched for another way. That led me over to MSN spaces, which became MSN Live. They introduced a Java tool for accessing your folders easily and being able to see thumbnails of your photos, select a bunch of them, create a folder in your blog for them and walk away while the transfer takes place automatically.

Finally, at some point in the coming year or two I found it necessary (largely through peer pressure) to finally establish a Myspace account so I could check out pictures of young women who would respond to posts on Craigslist in my evernending quest for love. This proved to largely be a waste of time, which is how I would come to feel about Myspace in general, but not for a while. Still, maintaining multiple blogs seemed too time consuming so I transfered my ramblings to Myspace and stuck with it for quite a while.

Nevertheless, eventually someone would respond to one of my periodic Craigslist posts that would catch my eye enough to ring up on the phone; enough to meet for Thai food; enough to get a few drinks at Paddy's; enough to call up again to see a movie at the Grand; enough to check out the art museum with; enough to endure a long-distance relationship for a whole freaking year! Oh, this is about blogging, sorry about that.

Anyway, it was pointed out to me that Myspace blogs are an after-thought for the folks at Myspace and serious blogging happens at places like Google's Blogspot and Wordpress to drop a couple names. Myspace blogs don't "feed" properly into readers, so I remembered I had a blogger account and resurrected this page.

Having been away a long time, I've also noticed several things have changed while I was away. The biggest change is that it is now owned by Google, which wasn't the case when I started it. The Google acquisition has led to more than a few innovations that makes this process all the easier, the one I like the most being live spell-checking. Over at Myspace I had to cut-n-paste my posts into Word so I could check the spelling, then paste them back into the webpage for final editing and publishing (slightly annoying). Blogger is a little easier to customize than Myspace, but that isn't a very big deal. I was able to figure both out fairly easily thanks to the wealth of information you can get from the internet with a simple engine search. Finally, Google offers a free analytics tool that you can use to track your traffic patterns. So far I have no idea who is reading and how often, but I should get a better sense of that soon. Myspace did track hits, but you didn't necessarily know who they were from.

So that was the river, this is the sea...

Peace,

b

ps... I have no intention of making this a Music Blog, I have so much more interesting things to say than just ramble about music. Still, I'm going to try to post a song for your aural pleasure while reading (right-click and open in a new tab to listen while you read).

This is the Sea
The Waterboys

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home